Make your own cuddly toy!
Not only will your child end up with a handmade toy but they will also be developing fine motor skills at the same time!
Can you imagine how proud they will be and how much they will love a toy that they have made!
You will need:
- Fabric scraps, about twice the size of a sheet of a4 paper
- Texta (felt tip pen) for drawing on the fabric or
- This Cat Pattern
- Buttons for eyes
- Stuffing (Pollyfill)
- A tiny scrap of co-ordinating fabric
- Darning needle (or large needle)
- Wool or thick cotton for nose and whiskers
What to do:
- Fold your fabric in 1/2 making sure it is inside out.
- Draw your cat with the bottom of the cat on the fold – so that way your back and front piece will be matching and still attached to each other.
- You can draw your cat free-hand as we did or you could use our free cat pattern (above). To use the pattern cut it out and pin it to the fabric to cut around.
- Cut out your cat shape leaving about 5mm around the picture
- Pin around the cat making sure to leave about 3cm open as the place you will attach the tail
- Use your needle and thread to sew around the edge, using the line as a guid.
- We found that Sage was having trouble with the distance between each stitch so I drew dots for her to put the pin through so that each stitch was an even distance apart
- This part can take a pretty long time! Sage asked that I help her for a little here and I was happy to as I was so pleased with her efforts
- Pin the tail (leaving the end open for stuffing)
- Sew the tail in the same way as the body
- Turn body and the tail back in the right way
- Stuff the body and tail with polyester stuffing (Pollyfill)
- Pin the tail to the body, use the space that you left open and push the end of the tail into it.
- Use your needle the thread to sew the tail on (Depending on the age of the child the adult may need to do this as it can be a little tricky)
- Cut two little circles of the co-ordinating fabric
- Place eyes on top of the circle
- Sew to the cat (again an adult may need to help here)
- Use your darning needle and wool to make a nose and whiskers (as pictured below)
Your Cuddly toy is ready to hug!